Since my trip to Las Vegas back in March I am one of the lucky few Zune HD owners in the Netherlands. I especially love the Zune software and the way it handles podcasts and syncs them to the device. A lot of podcasts are already available in the Zune marketplace and other podcasts can always be added by using the URL. Unforunately some podcasts only seem to be available through iTunes which leaves Zune owners with the option of manually syncing the podcast or just ignoring it at all. Since podcasts in iTunes also use a direct feed there had to be an easier way to solve the problem and this weekend I finally had time to find it. iTunes is still necessary to get the URL, but syncing can be done automatically from within the Zune software. As an example I will use the A State of Trance podcast by Dutch DJ Armin van Buuren. When following the subscribe link on the website iTunes opens automatically and the URL cannot be used in the Zune software.
- Open the podcast in iTunes and click the subscribe button (this url in the example)
- Go to the podcast section of iTunes, select your podcast, right-click the podcast title and select Show Description
- This information dialog contains the URL we need for the Zune software, keep it open or write down the URL somewhere
- Go to the podcast section of your Zune software, hit “Add a podcast” and enter the url we just found
- If done correctly the podcast now shows in the Zune software and functions like any other Zune podcast
Trackback from your site.