It’s a problem encountered by every (WP7) app developer: users leaving reviews and there’s just no way to contact them. How often did you want to clarify features misunderstood by a user? Or just want to let the user know you appreciate the input and will consider their feedback for a future update? A while ago Silverlight MVP and PicturesLab developer Rene Schulte shared his manual way of contacting reviewers through Zune social on his blog. Although this works in only 50% of the cases it is the best method I am currently aware off. Therefore I decided to integrate messaging users with the existing WP7 Review Reader I built a while ago. This provides developers with an easy way of contacting their customers. Here’s how to use it:
- Look up your app like you normally would in the WP7 Review Reader: http://wp7reviews.tomverhoeff.com/
- Click the username of the review author you would like to contact
- You will be redirected to a Zune Social direct message form, make sure you are signed in with the Live ID you would like to use for communication.
- Enter the message you would like to send
- Hit send!
- That’s it, the messag will now be delivered to the review author through Zune Social. Note: Zune Social does not confirm that a message has been sent. You’ll have to trust it after hitting send.
- Always provide an official support e-mail address to get the conversation out of Zune Social. This will make sure the users think you are serious in your efforts.
- Don’t just ask your users for a higher rating. Try to figure out their problem, help them and there’s a 9/10 chance you will be rewarded.
- Don’t waste time on people just being rude. When a user just gave you a 1 star without any apparent reason sending a message probably won’t help. Sending one message asking for clarification might help, but don’t bother if there’s no reply.
Trackback from your site.